Being involved in an accident is an unpleasant experience, regardless of the city in which it happened. What’s worse is dealing with a hit-and-run driver. Leaving the scene of an accident in the states of Missouri and Kansas is illegal for all parties involved. Fleeing before the authorities arrive can result in jail time.
If one of the parties involved in the accident is injured at the scene. It is best that you remain at the scene and contact authorities, reporting the injury to the police. This will help inform the facts on both sides. It is important to ask for help even if there are no injuries. You need to stay at the scene of the accident.
What to do after a hit -and- run accident ?
Below is a list of steps to take after a hit and run accident. The list below will help you take the correct precautions, as needed.
- Stay at the scene of the accident and call 911 or emergency medical help, if necessary.
- Take notes on the accident and look for witnesses to the accident. Have the witness help you identify all the details needed for the police report.
- Have eyewitnesses give you their contact information. Taking their name and number will generally help you throughout your case.
- I took photos of the whole scene. Including vehicle damage and injuries. Having photographic proof of what happened is key.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Make sure you give all the facts to the authority. Even the smallest detail. It is also important to take photographic evidence. The more evidence you get will help your case flow smoothly.
- Get medical treatment if necessary.
Why are drivers able to flee the scene ?
As mentioned above, fleeing the scene of an accident in Missouri and Kansas is illegal. Below is a list of reasons a driver may flee the scene. It is important to be aware of these reasons.
- Uninsured – Not having insurance is one of the most common reasons a driver may flee the scene. Getting into an accident without insurance can be scary for many reasons. This is because the lack of proof of insurance can trigger other problems.
- Drunk Driving – Another common reason for fleeing the scene of an accident. This may be to avoid jail but disappearing from crime also puts you at risk of spending time behind bars.
- Immigration Status – This can be especially scary for people without legal documentation from the United States.
- Not having a license.
- Because of fear.
Contact a Kansas City Accident Lawyer
If you have vehicle damage and/or personal injury from a hit-and-run accident. Get in contact with us. We are a Devkota law firm. We have over 22 years of experience with auto accident and personal injury cases. We are open 24 hours a day and our attorneys are ready to fight for you every second. Don’t hesitate to pick up the phone. Call today! Call (816) 312-5253 and schedule a free consultation. You can also contact us online at www.devkotalawfirm.com.